Monday, February 13, 2012

Recipe: Not Your Regular Pasta Salad

I have never been a pasta salad fan. Pasta, yes! Salad, yes! Together? NO!!! (I think it has to do with all the mustard or mayoinase usually involved.) But then I tried a salad a Black Walnut Cafe. Just reading the description on the menu I knew it would put all other pasta salads to shame.

The other night I decided I would try to make my own version of the salad. I ended up with a delicious dinner (and lunch for the entire week).

You will need. . .
1 bag bowtie pasta
3-4 chicken breasts cooked and cubed (I cooked mine with a little pesto, but it could be grilled or whatever is easiest)
goat cheese

          Diced or cut to your preferred size
              1 cucumber
              1 red bell pepper
              1 green bell pepper
              1-2 Granny Smith apples
              tomatoes - amount varies based on type used (I cut about 10 grape tomatoes in half)


Dressing
pesto
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
This is where you won't like me. I never measure. It was about 2 parts pesto, 2 parts balsamic vinegar, 1 part olive oil. Whisk it together and then taste if you should add anything else. I like the vinegar, but you may want more pesto. Pour this mixture over the pasta while it is still hot.


Once the pasta is cooked and everything chopped mix together in a large mixing bowl. Serve with a sprinkle of goat cheese. Something about the vinegar with sweet apples and creamy goat cheese is just delicious.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!









No comments:

Post a Comment